Monday, April 12, 2010

Fashionista


Picture a cross between the Web site peopleofwalmart.com and your grandmother. That’s me, on a healthful, bracing (cursed, painful) walk. I wear whatever is hanging on the closet door (too clean to put in the laundry), a hat, big old walking shoes, crew socks (the little ones slip off my heel), and usually have a tissue in hand, due to the cold or to allergies making my nose run. Excited yet?

I’ve never been fashion-conscious. When I worked, I wished for a uniform I could throw on each day, instead of having to fuss about getting ready. Never got the shoe bug. Or the purse bug. Or the shopping bug. When I need something (i.e., when my favorite black Capri pants begin to fray in awkward places) I go shopping—for another pair of black Capri pants that will go with most of my tops. Now that I think about it, it’s almost a uniform. Hmm.

How about you? Mad for shopping? Love new styles and trends? Or happy just to find a pair of pants that fit?

By the way, check out
www.peopleofwalmart.com. Pretty funny stuff, like the picture above. But you might not want to read some of the T-shirts or side ads. I don’t dare wear my “I’ve been to Hell (Michigan) and back” T-shirt down here in the Bible belt for fear of offending someone. Apparently others have a, shall we say, broader view of what’s acceptable. Vulgarity aside, it’s a funny Web site.

11 comments:

  1. For your next visit: http://bitsandpieces.us/2008/10/29/wal-mart-bingo/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a fashion schizophrenic. Most days I work in my pajamas, or something that resembles pajamas. I exercise in T-shirts and jersey capris I've had so long the fabric is getting transparent. But...when I get the urge to pull it together, I want something to appear in my closet that makes me feel pretty. I don't want to have to shop for it, mind you. I hate shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Valerie - didn't get the shoe, purse, shopping gene. Finding a pair of jeans that are long enough is a good day (but I have to be in the mood to look)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sally Scott(best mimi and still the queen)April 12, 2010 at 5:45 PM

    Okay,Val I get it!You care about things VERY important and meaningful.As for me,all those years I chose to be shallow are catching up with me!Not only am I slowing down in the shopping catagory, some days I wave the white flag and go for the elastic waist(don't tell Merry). Life is good in the comfy zone!
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could live in workout clothes (not that I work out very much). Workout clothes feel like pajamas, and cover a multitude of me. I've never been into purses and shoes, but when I've lost some weight I enjoy finding new clothes and fitting into old clothes. Otherwise, I put on whatever hides the most bulges, and avoid mirrors. I haven't bought a dress since I retired because I hate wearing pantyhose. Right now, even my fat clothes are tight. I have nothing to wear to Turkey, so I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, fashion... My best store for clothes is Costco. While I shop for food, I check out if there is any new Adidas clothes. That's my kind of uniform: workout clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I hate about shopping is the mirrors. I get in the changing room and take a look at what I've got on and I can't believe I've been walking around like that all day. You'd think it would inspire me to buy something new, but that requires trying stuff on, and that requires taking stuff off to get the stuff on, and oh boy,nobody wants to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. how can you not love to shop ! It's a wonderful shallow experience. Going to the movies, shopping and going for a drive are my ways of relaxing or going to "my place" when I forget all that's going on... As I'm aging I buy less and less because I don't want "stuff" - I'm decluttering in my aging process. Wondering around the stores just looking is very relaxing to me....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm with Dana. Just one look in the dressing room mirror is enough to make me cut and run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now that I have time to shop, I enjoy killing time. Rule one tho...if I buy something new, something old has to leave the closet. I find different colors work in FL and MI. Shoes must be comfortable. High Heels? NAH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. While I do love- er, ok - like shopping, I won't buy until I find something that's perfect. Meaning: it has to look good on, make me feel good and has to match at least 1 other piece in my existing wardrobe. Needless to say I often leave stores empty handed. Never caught the purse/shoe thing either - high heels hurt and I usually trash my purses in a matter of months anyways.

    Andy has his personal uniform. Khaki pants, similar colored polo shirt, white ankle socks and brown leather shoes. He came up with it to cut down on loads of laundry. If everything is in the same color family it can all be washed together, it always looks presentable and he doesn't have to think about what to wear for work. I've tried to adopt some of these principals....it's slow going.

    ReplyDelete